Today I received the question from a recruiter, what he would have to offer me to leave my job.
I found his approach really interesting - so I compiled a (very personal) list of minimal requirements for working anywhere.
Enviroment of learning
- There are people smarter than me in my team that are willing to teach.
- I want to teach programmers that are not as experienced as me
- Managers support personal development
- The company to learn from it's mistakes
- The company takes experiments
Environment of collaboration
- People really talk to each other
- Collaboration between departments
- People accept help and ask for help
- Ego plays no role
- Colleagues that love what they do
- Colleagues that reflect about theire work
- Real diversity with different interests and skill levels
- Mutual respect
- Colleagues that I can trust
- If the manager is on vacation it just works 😉
- Straight forward solutions
- Not reinventing wheels
- Continous incremental improvments
- Pay has to be fair - slightly over industry average
- The company should earn money
- Ability to switch teams within the organisation
- Environment work-life-balance is key to top performance
- Really flexible working times
- Possibility to work from home sometimes
- Environment where the people do much more than there job description
- Enough vacations
- No questions asked for buying books, going to conferences or taking a course
- I want to be able to talk to the CEO the CTO and it feels relaxed
Most of this points can not be paid for with money. It really needs work from an Organisation to get there and it takes continous work to maintain such kind of company.
I see that Gutefrage.net is already fullfilling most points on my list. I am really happy there and love the culture.
So what would a recruiter have to offer me to leave? I don't know! But why should I?